Skip to content

Atlanta Estate Planning, Wills & Probate | Siedentopf Law

Video: Dealing With Uncooperative Family Members?

Dealing with uncooperative family members?

Are you ready to begin probate, but there’s an uncooperative family member who is delaying the process? In Siedentopf Law’s latest video, we explain what you can do.

TRANSCRIPT: Hi, I’m Sarah Siedentopf.  I’m an estate planning and probate attorney in Atlanta, Georgia. When you look into filing a petition for probate or a petition for administration, which is what you file if there is no will, one of the first things you will realize is that there are some family members who need to sign off on the paperwork. What do you do if somebody just doesn’t feel like signing or is actively opposed to you administering this will or the estate? You can move forward without a family member signing. It takes a little longer, but the court actually sends them an official service of the petition and they have a very small window of time to file an objection with the court if they don’t want you to do it. So, if you’ve got family members who won’t sign, don’t let that slow you down too much. Obviously, there’s some value to trying to talk things out and see what you can get done on the front end, but we can get things filed with the court, and then officially served, and move forward even when you have a family member who’s not being helpful. If you’re in this situation and have questions about it, I’d be happy to talk to you. Thanks.

Whether you’re in the Atlanta and Brookhaven areas, or in Cobb, DeKalb , Fulton, Gwinnett, or another county in metro Atlanta, we can help you. We can also work with executors by phone or video conference if they are out of state or far away. Only after listening carefully will we present the options that are right for you and explore the benefits and costs of each one. 

Estate Planning E-Book for Georgia Residents

Click below to download your free copy of Sarah Siedentopf's e-book, Peace of Mind Through Estate Planning: A Guide for Georgia Residents.